Q.

I’ve had morel mushrooms soaking in water in my refrigerator for a week, are they still good?

Trackback |     
A.

We wouldn’t recommend eating them.  While you soak dried morels in hot water for about 20 minutes to rehydrate them, and some people believe in soaking fresh morels in ice water (often salted) for a few hours or overnight to remove any bugs, a week is probably too long. 

Morels have an extremely sensitive moisture balance and soaking them for that long has likely made them unpleasantly soggy and quite possibly unsafe to eat.

We recommend storing fresh morels in a paper bag (possibly with a damp paper towel depending on your climate) and consuming within three days.  For long term storage methods (drying, freezing, etc), check out How to Preserve and Store Fresh Mushrooms.

– Question submitted by Julie




Post your comment here: