Q.

I harvested wild chanterelle mushrooms a while ago, and they’re soggy, are they still safe to eat?

Trackback |     
A.

Though the original question specified ten days, we never advise eating fresh mushrooms after they have gotten soggy, as they probably aren’t safe.  How long this takes depends on where you found them, their moisture content and how they were stored, but regardless…once they’ve gone soggy it’s time to throw them out.  In the future, any wild chanterelle mushrooms you don’t plan on eating while fresh should be dried or frozen soon after harvest.

For long term storage tips, read How to Preserve Fresh Wild Mushrooms.

Question submitted by Mel H.




Post your comment here: